Sunday 5 June 2011

Arturo gossips @ No 10

Arturo came bouncing into No 10, this morning. His whiskers were twitching, as were his ears. So, I knew I was in for some gossip about George from No 11. I wasn't sure if he'd had a 'rest cure' like Boy David. I expect so - he was at that expensive ski resort only a few weeks ago.

Anyway - to cut to the chase - as they say: Arturo said that some of Georgy's advisers were up in arms, next door! It seems he - Georgy that is - has been criticised by several economists! They - the advisers, that is - were scandalised that his ideas and their planning could ever be doubted. It seems that 47 - Yes! 47! Academics and economists had signed a letter to 'The Observer'. Arturo closed his green eyes and quoted the following:
Recent economic figures have shown that the government urgently needs to adopt a Plan B for the economy. As economists and academics, we know the breakneck deficit-reduction plan, based largely on spending cuts, is self-defeating even on its own terms. It will probably not manage to close the deficit in the planned time frame and the government's strategy is likely to result in a lot more pain and a lot less gain.

"Oh my!" I said, "Georgy is not going to like that, is he?"

Arturo shook his head, "That's not all they wrote. They said we needed a 'a green new deal' and to clamp down on tax avoidance and evasion. Almost worst of all - since Georgy is a Tory! They suggested that he should raise 'taxes on those best able to pay.'" Arturo paused and eyed me closely. "What do you think of that, Butch?"

"Wow!" I said. "There'll be trouble in No 11!"

"There's already trouble." Arturo said. "What makes it really bad is that many of those 47 who signed the letter had written a previous letter, last year to 'The Sunday Times'. Then, they supported the Tory policies! So - it's all gone pear-shaped since then! Of course, you know what the Chancellor's spin doctors will say, don't you?" I shook my head. "They'll say most of those who signed come from universities worried about the student fees fiasco and their judgement has been clouded by that."

I pondered on what Arturo had told me. Everything is beginning to fall apart here in Downing Street in both No 11 and No 10! Thinking more about it, I wondered whether someone should send an urgent text message to Boy David and warn him not to come back to work! He'll only need another 'rest cure' by next weekend. So, why not economise and save the fare home!

Arturo has just given me a photo of himself! I'll share it with you.


Debonair chap, isn't he? Who'd have thought such a brilliant ratter could carry so much information in his head as well!

Oh well, I'm off to the kitchen. They had roast chicken today and cook promised me the left-overs plus the cream from the strawberries and cream. Don't eat the strawberries, they get between my teeth!


No comments:

Post a Comment