Monday 16 May 2011

French fries @ No 10

When Boy David came over to No 10, this morning, he was rather irritable.   He had those frown lines across his usually baby-smooth brow.   He held a paper in one hand and was tutting volubly.

"How did those bastards hear about the kitchen?"   He looked accusingly at two of his personal staff.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Prime Minister!"   A brave young man said.

"This!"  He waved the newspaper in the air.   "These reports about Samantha and I having a second kitchen in the flat.   What business is it of anyone else but us?"

There was a prolonged silence.  Then,  the same young man obviously an incautious type said:
"I think you'll find that others do think it's their business, sir."

"What are you talking about?  I'm paying for the blasted thing!"

"That's not the point, Prime Minister."

"Pray tell me what the blasted point is?"

"It's a listed property.   All the houses in Downing Street are listed.   You can't just change the purpose of various rooms and knock down walls or partitions ..."

 "I haven't knocked any bloody walls down!"

"Maybe not, Prime Minister, but there was only ever one kitchen in both the flats at Nos 10 and 11.   Even Cherie Blair didn't make any drastic changes when ..."

Boy David's eyes narrowed and he peered closely at the impetuous youth:  "Are you a Labour supporter, by any chance?"

The young man shook his head.  "No, Prime Minister, I am not."

Boy David sauntered into his office.   I just managed to slink in before he shut the door.   He was still annoyed.   Then he laughed:  "Never knew the froggies called old Strauss-Kahn 'Le chaud lapin'; the hot rabbit!  Now there's a phrase to conjure with.   Don't think Gordon Brown would want to follow a 'chaud lapin' into the hot seat of the IMF."  He laughed at his own joke.   "Must tell George, he'll be vastly amused."

All this talk of hot rabbits made my mouth water.   What I wouldn't give for a tasty bit of rabbit casserole.    However, something tells me that that's not what Boy David was talking about.  Must ask Arturo about all this hot rabbit business, if anyone will know, he will.



No comments:

Post a Comment