Tuesday 12 April 2011

Well-Being @ No 10

"How are you, today, Arturo?" I asked my moggy pal from No 11.

"Ok, I suppose."

"No really, how do you feel within yourself? Are you happy? Moderately happy? Unhappy? Downright bloody miserable?"

Arturo looked at me as if I'd gone mad. "What's going on in your head, Butch. You alright, or what? I told you, I'm OK? Alright? If it comes to it - how are you? Think you should ask yourself that before going on at me. Or I will be bloody miserable!"

"Thing is Arturo, our Boy David, our supposedly bright PR boy of a PM is having a lot of people questioned about how they feel; what their well-being is; how happy they are."

"You're joking!"

"Nope, would I joke about such a thing as well-being? Everybody'd doing it, as they say. The Office of National Statistics is asking things like:
What things in life matter most to you?
Is there more to National Well-being than happiness? What else matters?
What things in life matter most to you?
Is there more to National Well-being than happiness? What else matters?
"

Arturo nearly choked himself laughing! I said nothing till he had recovered.

"So, what do you think?"

"I think it's bloody daft! One minute I'm happy, like when I've caught a rat. Then, I'm unhappy when the rat bites my nose. One minute I'm ecstatic when I smell cooked fish. The next I'm as miserable as hell when I see it's for Georgy's plate not my stomach! Like I said, it's bloody daft! And .... humans never know when they're happy, anyway!"

I pondered the situation most of the day. Was I happy, was I truly happy? Was I medium happy? Did I have a sense of well-being? Was I miserable?

But why would our Boy David want to know if the nation he ruled had a feeling of well-being? He's even got the NHS website telling people that
To find NHS services in England and get information on medical conditions and lifestyle advice, go to the NHS Choices website.

There you can find information on more than 850 medical conditions and treatments.

Now do I want to know that? No, I do NOT! I don't even want to think about 850 medical conditions! Now that would give me real bad feeling, I can tell you!

He's even got the Universities at it. They have a Wellbeing site on which it states:
In 2010 Higher Education faces increasing challenges. We believe that investing in staff wellbeing is more important than ever during these times of change. If you need resources and information, to learn from others about what really works or help to prove that wellbeing makes a real difference — we’re here to lead the way.

Isn't amazing how ideas spread! Dawkins would say it's a meme that's got out of control!

Personally - now listen folks - I have a theory. Our Boy David, never known for pure altruism, is using this as a cynical exercise to get the Big Society to remove the burdens from Government's shoulders ipso facto from HIS shoulders. In other words - just like the street party gig, of yesterday, it's a distraction from the right cock-up his Coalition is making!

Bye bye! I'm going to have a sleep - now that's what I call well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment