Wednesday 6 April 2011

Paws for 'pause' @ No 10

So there is to be a 'pause' in going ahead with the NHS reforms! Arturo and I couldn't believe our ears. That silver headed fox, Mr Andrew Lansley, said at the House there would be a 'pause'. But we hadn't understood that, at the start. Let me explain:

Arturo and I were napping, as is our wont in the day when we can find a quiet spot. One of the secretaries had the tele on! It was quite loud - loud enough to wake me. I screwed up one eye and saw the secretary was watching Parliament TV! Boring! I thought, why not CBBC or some cartoon channel? But no, she was glued to the set. I saw this Lansley bloke looking grim faced and mean, as usual. He was speaking about some view he held. Boring!! Then, the secretary gave a little squeak and jumped up! "Yes!" she said.

I sat up and took more notice. What would arouse this usually totally laid-back, rather quiet girl? Then I heard her say "Paws. We're getting a paws! How wonderful!"

I nudged Arturo, "Hey, pal, we're getting another cat here at No 10!"

"What? Another bloody Larry?" Arturo was fully awake. "We don't need no more Larrys."

"No, just another 'paws', that's what she said."

"There won't be enough rats for all of us!" Arturo exclaimed. "Someone'll have to go. And I'm telling you, mate, it ain't going to be me or you."

The secretary meanwhile was telling everyone, "We've got a 'paws'. Isn't it great. Now the PM can appear to look as though he really is trying to be on the side of the people!"

Now, I didn't understand that! How would getting another cat show he was on the side of the people? Most people don't like cats. The fools like the dicky birds in Springtime not preying cats. But still she chauntered on to a small group of girls that was getting larger by the minute.

"Don't you see, if the PM and Nick don't do anything, they'll look bad. So this pause in pushing the NHS reform legislation is just what they needed. Of course, pause doesn't mean they'll change anything but it's great PR! How clever. But then both the PM and his Deputy were experts in PR. We're so lucky to have them!"

The other girls all giggled and nodded agreement, then went back to their computers. I gave a great big sigh of relief. "Did you hear that, Arturo? There's more than one way of spelling 'paws'! This sort of pause is going to cause trouble for lots of others but not for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment